Amina's story of the Dance Cycle
Amina's Books & CDs
Here are some photos from our glorious retreat which took place at the Blue Ridge Assembly in Black Mountain, NC in July, 2019
Dancing with the Daughter and the Mother
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
11th BLOG PAGE – MARCH 8, 2018
The big news is all about our 10 years of Dancing with Mary Magdalene! I plan to send out a couple of "remembrance" blogs each month leading up to the Feast Day week-end July 20-22, happening right here in upstate SC! I'll be launching the CD that accompanies my latest collection of dances, "Dancing with Mary Magdalene: Daughter of the Light," published July 2017. Big plans are being made to make it a memorable event for all you Maryam devotees! Stay tuned!
From one of the new dances, "Nukva Shekinah" – Mary's sayings, #48, in part: "….sing and dance and rejoice, for it is to those who abide in joy that the Shekinah comes, and it is through her that you will enter the bridal chamber."
Don't forget to go to https://marychants.bandcamp.com/ to listen to “Chanting the Sayings of Mary Magdalene.” This is a work in progress, so new postings are made periodically.
10th BLOG PAGE – OCTOBER 8, 2017
Please join me this month in a beautiful Harvest moon practice shared by Sheikah Farrunnissa Rosa, my beloved Sufi Guide and Dances of Universal Peace Mentor.
Beloved Sisters of the Smile,
Thursday, Oct. 6, at 2:40pm ET was the powerful Harvest Full Moon. Mother Moon was brilliantly radiant last night, and is now rising in the night sky like Venus, silvery with a glorious glow…
This Moon is called Harvest Moon because it's the Full Moon closest to Autumn Equinox. The Harvest Moon's brilliant illumination has made it possible for harvesting to continue in the fields well into the evening for as long as there have been harvests in the Northern Hemisphere. The First Nations call this Moon, Corn Maker Moon, Nut Moon, Barley Moon, Singing Moon, Yellow Leaf Moon, and Mulberry Moon.
This Full Moon's still-magnificent brightness pulses with the sacred time of Balance from the Equinox just past. And as the Moon folds in toward Her newness, we will journey through Samhain, the sacred Cross Quarter midway between Autumn Equinox and Winter Solstice, the original celebration of Halloween, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day which is called Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos) in Latina cultures.
At this time of Harvest, let's renew The Smile of Magdalena, reconnecting with our commitment to empower and express our own Feminine Wisdom and Feminine Power with joy and confidence, continuing our journey toward being fully heard, fully seen, fully felt, fully known, for the benefit of all beings. So valuable and so necessary, now more than ever…
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Renewal of The Smile of Magdalena
* We prepare an altar that celebrates gratefulness for the Harvest, choosing symbols, pictures, and/or objects that invoke this powerful season of gathering what is ripe and nourishing.
* We also reconnect with Sacred Water — preparing a container of sacred water for this time of renewal and placing it on the altar.
* If we like, we wear a large diaphanous veil covering head and shoulders. The veil invokes the Mystery of the Feminine, helping us turn our focus inward, while also providing a transformed view of the world around us.
* In the light of the Moon, we drum! If we cannot drum in the Light of the Moon, we light a candle and place a small mirror next to the candle to call on the Moon's presence and blessing as we renew.
* As we drum, we reconnect with our intention and commitment to express with joy and confidence our own wisdom and power as women, continuing our journey toward being fully heard, fully seen, fully felt, fully known, for the blessing and benefit of all beings and of our Mother Earth. With each passing day, our wise voices and strong presence is needed as we intentionally engage all the way from the inner planes to the local community to our global family! So Mote It Be!
* We invoke the Feminine Names of Power that resonate within, and perhaps even more names — invoking mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, teachers, friends, wise women, women of power, Goddesses, Great Mother Archetypes including Mother Earth Herself, and all those we want to call on to travel with us, supporting and inspiring us as we journey toward our own ever-growing expression of Empowered Feminine.
* Then we spend some time summoning the forces of Nature around us in this sacred season transitioning from burgeoning growth to rest and ease. We open to the blessings of harvest home and the grace of Plenty. We honor the harvested gifts of our own authentic expression, our Truth, our True Being, experiencing them as nourishment for ourselves and all our relations.
* As we renew, the Muse may inspire us with new rhythms or songs, so let's have a journal or recorder handy.
* With the Sacred Water that is now recharged with Moon-Light, with drum-prayers, with the energy of our renewed intention, and Nature's powerful Life-Force, we retrace the empowering, blessed Smile on our forehead, throat, heart, womb-basket, hands, feet, and elsewhere as inspired.
* We offer the rest of the Sacred Water as a libation-offering, poured out on the Earth or into a living body of water, so our gratitude, prayers, affirmations, intentions, remembrances, and invocations go out into Mother Nature's vast witnessing and tender loving care, and from there, rise up to return as refreshing showers of blessing and transformation to all things and all beings.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
A reminder that we are all empowered to share the initiation of The Smile of Magdalena and our shared monthly renewal ritual with anyone as we are inspired — now and in the future.
May our continuing connection with the power of Mother Nature bless us and heal us, and bless and heal all our human kin! May our intention for the well-being and thriving of ourselves and all our relations go out with the Sacred Water of our shared renewal, and spread over all the planet!
May all beings be well! May all beings be happy! May all beings be free! Peace! Peace! Peace!
Loving, Drumming, Smiling, and Remembering,
She changes everything She touches
and everything She touches, changes.
— Starhawk's song to Kore, the Maiden
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~
9th BLOG PAGE – MARCH 6, 2017
2017 marks the 9th year (Novena!) of Dancing with Mary Magdalene and deepening in the understanding of her important message of the balance of the masculine and feminine energies. It was March 2008 during the Lenten season that I began receiving the dances inspired by Maryam; and now, on the eve of the 10th year of this work, I have realized that the form of the work is changing for me.
Due to some ongoing health challenges, in 2017 I will be limiting the amount of traveling I do to present DMM events. However, I want to offer one last opportunity for Dance Leaders to deepen their attunement to this work in order to bring these dances to their dance circles and other venues. Therefore, I am proposing a gathering of dance leaders and dancers for a week-end of dance, chant, walks, meditation, ritual, and spiritual practice using the dances and chants that have been inspired throughout these past years.
I am tentatively scheduling this event for the week-end of Mary’s Feast Day, Friday, July 21- Sunday, July 23, 2017 in Durham, NC. Sunday morning will be devoted to leading for feedback for any dance leaders wishing to do so.
BONUS: Volume 2 of Dancing with Mary Magdalene will be available for purchase at this event. It includes dances that have come through since the publication of “Dancing with the Daughter and the Mother” in 2013; plus selections from “Chanting the Sayings of Mary Magdalene,” which I began composing in December 2016.
I would welcome hearing from you if you’re interested in attending the July event. A detailed flyer will be forthcoming in the next month or so.
NEWS! Go to https://marychants.bandcamp.com/ to listen to “Chanting the Sayings of Mary Magdalene.” This is a work in progress, so new postings are made periodically.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
7th BLOG PAGE – SEPT. 8, 2016
THE DESCENT OF THE HOLY SOPHIA
The Descent of the Holy Sophia falls on September 8th. In the Roman calendar this day celebrates the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and prefigures the sacred birth of Jesus. In the Gnostic tradition, part of Sophia returns to the aeons, to her true home, and part of her being symbolically returns to the lower regions or to earth. She comes to earth to be with us, her children, to be our consolation and the inspiration of our love. By this image we have the promise that we are not left alone in our darkness but have Sophia's abiding presence in our lives. (The Gnostic Calendar, www.gnosis.org.)
Mary (Magdalene) was speaking to her companions. She said, “Everything that is above is in you here below. The light of the heavens and Supernal Abode is in you, and the essence of the Perfect Aeon. Let Logos and Sophia embrace in you and you will behold great wonders, and nothing will be impossible to you, for what is above will be brought down below and what is below will be lifted above. Praise the Lord!” (The Secret Gospel of Mary, Saying #113; Tau Malachi,www.sophian.org)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In December, I began to feel inspiration to put music to some of the sayings of Mary found in Tau Malachi’s “Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene.” These teachings have been a resource and inspiration for many of the dances that have come through, but I hadn’t felt any clarity around what part “Chanting the Sayings of Mary Magdalene” would play in the overall presentation of this work. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been struggling with whether to continue on with the work of Dancing with Mary Magdalene in its current form; and I believe this morning’s experience was the “sign” I had been asking for! Do the work – walk forth and “…(worship God) with tears and laughter, and in all that you do, and with song and dance, and in every way the Spirit inspires.” (Saying # 65, in part)
The Workshop Dance Circle posing lake-side during the afternoon break. Ya Maryam!